Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Neighbors

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but we met our future neighbors back in February. There was an open house for a Rural Housing Development group that had just finished building their houses. While we were there we met the people building on lot 20. They will be our next door neighbors. We didn't get much of a chance to speak with them, but it was cool to meet. Once June rolls around we'll be seeing a lot more of them. This will probably be the first time that we really get to know our next door neighbors. In the past we've always had up- or downstairs neighbors that we got to know better than the ones next door. It's just a lot easier to stay at the same house if you need to borrow a cup of sugar.

Thinking about our past neighbors made me realize that I have never made much mention of the people who shared our same living space. We had a lot of them over the past seven years. A LOT! Now that this particular phase of our life is about to come to a close, it's time. I'll list them in no particular order.

The Parents: It was much easier to go back to living with them than I expected.

The Single(ish) Mom: Her husband was having green card issues and living out of the country. Her son prepared me for what it would be like when I had my own toddler who enjoys screaming.

The Sunday Dinner Family: Whatever food it was they made every Sunday must have been edible, but it certainly didn't smell that way.

The Obscenity Screamers: I don't think they liked each other very much.

The Loud Intimacy Couple: They liked each other very, VERY much.

The Best Friends: We didn't lock the door separating our apartments.

The Bishop's Family: They'll be the last people we share with. It's nice to go out on a high note.

That's just a sampling. I'm excited to get to know the people around us. One reason I love the RHDC program so much is because you spend so much time with you neighbors before you ever move in.

No comments: