Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I'm Going to Hell


The picture above is The Last Judgment and is located in the Sistine Chapel. See all those people at the bottom that look fairly upset? That's me. I'm going to hell. I broke a couple of pretty basic commandments today.

Commandment #6: Thou shalt not kill. So maybe I didn't actually kill anyone, but I've been thinking about it quite a bit since 6:30 Monday night. That was when I found out the real reason behind why I had enough work that it set me behind more than a day. "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he." If that line applies to women, I'm doomed.

Commandment #9: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Another part of the reason I broke commandment #6 is because the same person gave me a jacket to alter that is exactly the same (and for the same person) as a jacket I did the work on a week ago. The particular procedure requested takes an hour and a half to complete. I guess the customer's mother believed that the sleeve was puckering funny, so she wanted a different jacket. After 6 or 7 years experience with this, I knew all the jacket needed was to be properly ironed. My passive-aggressiveness prevented me from doing the alterations on the new jacket. The mom called today to see if the jacket was done. I told her she should bring her son in to try the old jacket on because I believed it was just a matter of properly pressing it. She didn't like that idea. She firmly believes the sleeve is too big for the armhole. It's not. I have a little experience in this area. I found the jacket, pressed the sleeve, and told her it was fixed. She didn't believe me and asked what I had done differently than the person who had pressed it before. I told her experience (I used to have a job pressing suit jackets). She still didn't believe me, but agreed to bring her son in. I thanked her for her patience and she hung up. I pressed the jacket a little more to make it perfect, then removed the tag from the new jacket and put it on the old one. After restocking the new jacket I put a note on the old one asking the salesman to tell the mom I had gone ahead and lengthened the sleeves on the new one. I knew that was the only thing that would make her happy, but I wasn't going to waste my time doing something that didn't need to be done.

I suppose I could attempt to avoid being thrust down to hell by repenting. The problem is you have to feel bad about what you did in order to repent and I don't feel bad. So there.
**UPDATE** I started thinking about the "honest in all your dealings" question and decided I should remove the note from the jacket. I meant to do that Wednesday night, but was having another bad work day and forgot. Thursday morning I went to remove the tag and found that the jacket wasn't there. I asked one of the guys if the family had picked it up. He told me they did and that the mom was really impressed with the jacket (I knew I did the job well the first time). Do good intentions count toward not being thrust down to hell?

2 comments:

Christin said...

People like that always get me. I don't want to be nice to anyone after dealing with a customer like that. Sorry girl! You do amazing work!

Della Hill said...

Jordan,
you crack me up.
I like your problem solving methods.
-Della