Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Thankfulness

I didn't get this posted yesterday (I had to work), so I will do it today. Around Memorial Day I am always grateful for the servicemen and women who sacrificed so much for this country. There are so many stories of bravery out there that I won't even attempt to refer you to any.

My family and how important they are to me also come to mind. I have more family members who have served or are serving in the military than I realized for a long time. My husband's grandfather served during the second World War. Two of his uncles served during Vietnam. His stepdad is in the National Guard. My husband, himself, is serving in the National Guard and has been deployed (before we were married). My grandfather served in the Korean war. One of my cousins is also in the national Guard. Those are the people I can think of off the top of my head. I know there are more.

I think particularly about my grandfather during this time. He passed away on my first wedding anniversary. I always thought that serving in Korea must have been difficult for him. My dad was born while he was away. He didn't get to see his son until 13 months after he was born. I can't imagine how hard that must have been (at least as the mother you have to be there when the kid is born, so I'll never experience that). Anyway, the third anniversary of my grandfather's death is tomorrow and I always think about him in the days leading up to it.

I'm grateful for the sacrifices made by all to secure our freedoms from the beginning, as well as all of those who have done what was asked of them to protect our freedoms from those who would threaten them and help bring freedom to others. I love our country and I'm proud to be American.

1 comment:

Della Hill said...

Thanks for saying that.
I love our country too.
-Della