Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Uncle Steve For The Win!!!

Ellie got sick on Friday.  It was one of those sicknesses where the kid is fine one day and then wakes up with a fever and several other nasty symptoms.  Not fun for child or parent, especially when it causes the child to wake up several times during the night for comfort.  Anyhow, I didn't take her to the doctor on Friday because I thought it was a little cold that would be gone by Sunday.  When she was worse on Sunday I decided to take her to the doctor on Monday.  Yeah.  It's pneumonia. I just about burst into tears as soon as the doctor said it for fear his next word would be "hospital."  It wasn't.  She sounded worse than her x-ray showed and only requires antibiotic to get her all better.  That was a relief.

Well, I've been feeling sickness coming on since Sunday.  My general routine is to deny it and keep busy until it goes away because mommies can't afford to get sick.  That method failed me this time and by the time Monday night came around I couldn't deny it anymore.  On Tuesday morning I updated my Facebook status as shown below:
Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick.
If I say it enough times it will be true... Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. Mommies don't get sick. 
I got several encouraging comments, ranging from hoping I wouldn't get sick to helping me use more positive self-talk to keep the sickness away.  I appreciated them all, but I as was already sick it was a bit late for the well-wishes.  My bad.  I felt dumb commenting that I had been sick for a couple of days, so I left it alone.

This morning I opened my email to find a comment from my uncle.  I was a little afraid of what he had to say. I didn't need to be.  His comment was:  Mommies don't get sick. They build new homes!!!!

I'm pretty sure that thought alone cleared my sinuses and gave me an extra two hours of sleep.

No comments: