Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Christmas Eve

I've been waiting for almost a year to post this video. I can't remember if I already did, but here you are.


On a more serious Christmas note (I'm not sure I'll get to it tomorrow so you get it today) I wanted to share what has touched me most this season. We were at my grandparents' house for a family dinner and singing Christmas hymns while my mom played. As we sang Away in a Manger I noticed the words of the last verse for the first time.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask thee to stay
Close by me forever and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care
And fit us for heaven to live with thee there.

Until this year I had only thought of that verse as if the author were still looking at Christ as a baby at the beginning of his earthly life. It is such a sweet prayer to ask that Christ be with us and show us the love He has.

The second half of the verse is also very poignant. Before considering its meaning I assumed it was a blanket prayer that children be blessed. I realized the prayer is much more special than that. To me, it is asking for blessings for the children who have passed on before us, and to help us be worthy to live with them in heaven when our time is finished. Having friends and family who have lost a child, as well as my own miscarriage last year, it means so much more to me.

This Christmas I pray that our Lord will be near all of us, that we will invite him into our lives with all our hearts, and that we will be grateful for the loving care that only He can give us. Have a wonderful and merry Christmas from my family to yours.

1 comment:

Amy Eds said...

Jordan, that is really nice. You have a beautiful little family! IT is fun to see you and to hear from you again!